Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Inspiration from the 50s

Luckily for me, I caught Rear Window on TMC the other night. Great flick and even better clothes and jewelry! Shallow perhaps, but honestly, Edith Head was pure genius and her gowns would probably look fabulous on anyone lucky enough to wear them. But on Grace Kelly -- pure perfection. The frosting on the cake?

Hands down -- the jewelry. Big bold pearls with big chunky dangling charms. At one point, the James Stewart character actually comments on the big jewelry, and Grace Kelly responds with "just three." She had three bold bracelets layered on one wrist. I love it. I was also thinking about the film, in general. It was so entertaining -- but the sad thing is -- if it was made today in exactly the same format I think it would be a box office flop. Not enough action, nothing is blowing up, and no one is shooting at someone. So, my fear is that it would be a flop. Okay -- I'll step off the soapbox for the time being.

The bracelet here was inspired by the jewelry of the 50s. It was big, bold, yet feminine. This clear crystal quartz, Czech glass pearls and interesting large gold vermeil beads and clasp are a beautiful combination. It is the perfect way to start the holiday season.

No comments:

Post a Comment