Friday, June 17, 2011

Morning Moon

Trust me when I say that I am not a morning person. But, living as far north as I do, this time of year the "nights" are very, very, very short. The sun does not go down until a bit after ten in the evening and then, when it's not shrouded in the clouds, it comes up again about five in the morning. I hate having heavy blinds or curtains on the windows in my house, makes me feel very closed in for some reason. It's true, even when I lived in NYC, I did not have window treatments that cut off my view or the view of others (as in those looking into my place) -- so I guess it's safe to say I'm a bit claustrophobic. I digress here but one beau that I dated for a few years while living in NYC told me that he paid his rent my renting binoculars to the guy who lived in the apartment across from my place! Sorry, I just can't seem to bring myself to cover the windows. In this house, my bedroom faces east which means when the sun comes up on a non-cloudy day it streams through my window and across the bed. While it gives me a cozy feeling, to Beatrix, the wonder Cairn, it means she should be up and exploring the yard; tracking the critters that came through during the dark hours while she slept .


Well, this morning, when I sleepily got up to open the door for her -- this is what greeted me. A beautiful morning moon. The glow on the back yard was so beautiful -- enough so I actually stood out there and gazed up at the glowing orb. I tried to capture the spirit of the moon with the camera on my cell phone. Remember it was 5:23 a.m. so my brain was not functioning on full throttle and I didn't think to get the "good" camera and snap a few shots. So this is what I got. The back of my house faces west so the moon was on its way down while the sun was slowly rising in the east. I think the color of the moon reflected a bit of the morning glow of the sun. Whatever it was it made me stop, stare, snap a few images and then sit out back and simply breathe in the morning air and enjoy the moments before the moon disappeared. Working on moonstone today -- it just seemed like the right thing to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment