Friday, March 06, 2009

Strawberries and Cream, Please?

Whenever I see rhodocrosite it just makes me happy. There is something about the peachy-pink color of the stone that gets to me. And, you know me...I am in no way pinky-girly-girl. But I do love this stone. What's even stranger is that I love the gemstones that have some opacity to them -- stones that if you look at closely you can see the more transparent veins running through them; but they are by no means totally clear. You won't find rhodocrosite used much in jewelry -- one because it is hard to find; and two is that, when you do find it, most times it is over-the-top expensive. However, I have seen pieces designed by Jay King (Mine Fines) and Carolyn Pollack (Sincerely Southwest) that incorporated small nuggets and cabs which are beautiful. So when I found these big bold heishe-type stones in Tucson, I went bonkers and bought all they had! Here are the first pieces out of the studio -- they have my definitive look - opaque stones mixed with highly faceted glass beads of varying shapes. There are bracelets too at my Web site so pop on over there and check them out. If you click on the image here you'll get a good close up view of the stones -- sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment