Monday, September 06, 2010

Labor Day and Moments


Yesterday in the late afternoon Beatrix and I decided we had just about enough of the new computer installation party and decided to run over to see all the family and friends who were hanging out at Champoeg Park for the long weekend. Now, that's a real party -- full of fresh air, fun and laughter. I was thinking we would do a little hiking, sit around the fire a bit and then head on back to the Ponderosa here in Dodge!

By now you know I am a bit of a history buff and this part of the country has a pretty remarkable past. A past that includes Champoeg which is considered to be one of the most important historical sites in Oregon history. If you want, you can learn more about all of that by clicking here. Today, along with the rich heritage, Champoeg is an amazing Oregon State Park where, for a $5 day fee, I can get all the fresh air, scenic river views and hiking I could want. Yesterday wasn't disappointing. After hiking a bit on the nature trail, for the first time in many, many, many years (wow) I actually went out on the Williamette River in a boat -- yes, a boat. The last time I did that was when I was waterskiing back in 1981...maybe. So, it was an unexpected adventure. My niece and her husband were there with their skiboat -- so, while no one was skiing, they were tubing -- an event I had only heard of up until that point. It was fun to watch the kids ride the wake -- lots of core strength there, no doubt. Maybe I'll get brave and try it next summer...slowly. Maybe I'm nuts?

With all the fun, I wasn't prepared for the wave of memories that came flooding back to me. While I knew I always had fun in the water and on a boat, I'm guessing the joy of it all was buried somewhere in the back of my mind. Sense memory took over yesterday and within seconds I was feeling just what I had felt all those years ago. Magically, the Bears (my adopted family) were with me yesterday. We were all laughing, making fools of ourselves, skiing and diving and just enjoying the nature of life. In that moment in time, there was no past, no present and no future...there was just the moment and it was filled with joy and love. So thank you Tricia and Nate and all the kids -- and thank you Bears. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment