Thursday, January 13, 2011

Making My Own Sunshine

When you live in a part of the world where days and weeks and even months can pass without seeing or feeling the sun, you've just got to learn to make your own light and warmth. So, that is exactly what I did this morning. I donned this lovely yellow jade, crystal quartz and smoky quartz super long necklace -- worn over an ivory turtleneck. It's just what I needed to spark the day. No sunshine always makes me think back to some time I spent in Oslo (yes, the Oslo way up there in Norway). I happened to be there during the time of year when the sun really never sets -- it just moves from one side of the sky to the other. It is a strange sensation -- hard to keep track of time without looking at your watch. I suppose that if you live with that experience year after year you get used to the idea. But for me, those were the longest 10 days of my life, which really felt like one day that just wouldn't end. I remember complaining to some Italian docs I was working with about too much sun and too much light and they kindly listened to my whining as we sat outside in the sunlight of a restaurant in the middle of the early morning at a time when most people were at home sleeping soundly. Well, maybe living in the Pacific Northwest these days is payback for all that silly whining -- a personal lesson for me in the joy of sunshine and how there can never be too much!

No comments:

Post a Comment