Wednesday, August 17, 2011

"Everybody's gone surfing..."


Seems to me that there are a lot of little reminders of my past around these days. Today I pulled into the gas station and this VW bus pulled in at exactly the same moment!

I immediately started singing classic Beach Boys songs -- jumped out of the Jeep and captured this image.

My first real love had a VW bus similar to this -- but all green -- which of course we would load up with surfboards and head to the beach. He had a glorious smile that was contagious and he was a riot -- his VW had two funky windows that functioned as the windshield. But they actually cranked out -- so we would open them as wide as they would go while we were heading out and back. Talk about bugs in your teeth! As I looked at the price of gas today and the vintage VW, I remembered my girlfriends and I pooling our resources to buy enough gas to get us to the beach. Let's see at 25 cents a gallon at World, it didn't take much change to accomplish our goal! I know, I know. I spend a lot of time in my head...always have...always will. But I love that, with the least little trigger, I can conjure up images from long ago (even though it seems like only yesterday) that make me happy enough to burst into song even when people are within earshot. After all, isn't it all about the little moments?

No comments:

Post a Comment