Sunday, June 28, 2009

The Beauty That is Kazuri

It's no secret, I love Kazuri beads. Over the years I have started collecting them and sharing my love of the handcrafted beads with all of you. Here's a bit of background for those of you who are new to the world of Kazuri.

Kazuri is the Swahili word for “small and beautiful” and this is just what these beads are. Kazuri Beads is located on the farm that was the inspiration for the movie “Out of Africa.” The hand crafted beads are made from clay from the Mount Kenya region and include a kaleidoscope of colors that reflect the Kenyan art and local culture. The factory acts as a social gathering spot that hums with voices throughout the day. And, one bead maker often ends up providing for an “extended family” of 20 or more. And, you should know that Kazuri Beads is a member of the Fair Trade Act.
When I work with Kazuri beads, I feel their peaceful energy and I often refer to the finished pieces as my “with heart” designs. It makes my heart sing to see the beauty of each bead, it also makes my heart happy knowing that with every bead I use, I am in some little way, supporting and encouraging people to continue doing what they do and helping inspire change. When you wear the pieces and share the Kazuri story, you are opening your heart as well and inspiring others to do so; and, I can’t even begin to tell you how that makes me feel. Together, in our own little way, we can help keep a culture and its people alive and well one bead at a time.

There are so many designs and styles to choose from -- I think my collection will just keep on growing. I love mixing them in unexpected ways -- tribal meets glam. There is always room for another Kazuri bead bracelet. I love wearing one or two on the same wrist -- and as bracelets, I get to enjoy them when I wear them. Believe me, they are like magnets. People always ask about them and and I love sharing the Kazuri story. If you haven't seen them yet -- check out my site. They go fast, but I always try to have several for sale at any given time. I'm still dipping into the new styles and colors I bought from the Kazuri folks at the Tucson Gem Show. So many choices, so many designs, and so much love in a bead.

No comments:

Post a Comment