Tuesday, June 02, 2009

Looking Back

When I see old barns like this I can't help but think about the hearty souls who came West with the hope of a better life. Living on the East coast I would get steeped in the rich history of New York City and all it entailed -- especially the beautiful and opulent architecture and how they stood in contrast to the six-floor walk-up tenements. Living here in Oregon the history is just as rich and I so respect the people who created a life here. Barns like this are still standing in farm fields all around me. The cemetery in town tells full and sometimes sad stories of the lives of the people who passed through or settled in this area. For me, connecting with the history of the place I am living makes it feel more like home.

No comments:

Post a Comment