Monday, February 14, 2011

St. Valentine and Memorable Gifts

The perfect choice for today. You know me, one is never enough. So today, in honor of St. Valentine, I chose this bunch from my collection. The red and black lampwork bead bracelets of my own design (check out the site for others) look nifty worn with a black enamel and crystal bangle from Joan Boyce. Oh how I love the sound it all makes. Did I just say "nifty?" I sure enough did. Weird how words just pop into my mind at times. I sound a bit like Opie Taylor...and now I am dating myself, too.

I just read a bit about the history of Valentine's Day -- I'll spare you the details and just say it has been celebrated for a very, very, very long time. I remember as a kid in elementary school, we would decorate paper bags and hang them on the back of our chairs. Then on Valentine's Day each kid would deliver their Valentine cards into bags of all the kids. Even though every kid in the class brought a card for everyone else in the class, I guess it was always a worry that I would not get anything in my "mail bag!" Do you think that fear carries over to today? Not sure, but I do know that this is a day that puts fear into the eyes of most men. Flowers, candy, jewelry, a blender -- what is the right gift that gives the right message? Sorry, I have no clue on this one -- although I always think that jewelry is a wonderful gift and leaves a lasting impression. I remember the giver of each piece of jewelry in my collection even over all the years. One of my favorite pieces to this day, is a big simulated alexandrite set in sterling silver that my first "real" love brought back for me from a surfing trip in Mexico. Sadly, he is no longer with us, but his memory is alive and well -- that,my friends, is the power of jewelry. So men...maybe you want to give the woman in your life a gift of jewelry...along with the blender she has been drooling over for years...you're sure to be remembered for one or the other. On second thought, maybe...skip the blender and go with the jewelry. The blender can be a surprise for another day -- just an any day gift. Yeah, I think that's the best idea. Be prepared, if you just buy the blender, you may be hunting for a piece of jewelry as a "I'm such an idiot" make-up gift. So save the grief and settle on jewelry from the start. You can never go wrong with that. Right ladies?

No comments:

Post a Comment