Sunday, April 03, 2011

Jewelry, Grammar and New Technology


So, today I was adding a few new things to the site. Life being what it is, I also added an update about it on the Tanya Lochridge Jewelry FaceBook page. Don't ask me what I am doing there -- just trying to keep up with the technology of the day I suppose. I do have to say that I haven't even attempted Twitter. I think that technology is best left to the 10-year-olds who understand it all!

My biggest concern with the world of this wickedly fast communication is the lack of correct grammar -- or maybe it's not a lack of, but an entirely new language that is emerging as a result of it all and I just don't have the dictionary. Although, the other day when doing some shopping here in town at the checkout stand I actually saw a "Text Dictionary." Oh lord -- at first I thought "hey, I should get this" and in the next moment my thoughts changed to "you don't want to go there." I don't know if it is because I taught school at one time in my life and believed then and still believe now that it is really important for people to use the English language correctly both when speaking and writing; or if I spent a few too many years as a professional "writer" in a series of industries I won't list for fear you'd fall into a trance. Whatever it is...it's making me feel old!


Well that being said -- I don't really know where to go from here. So, I'll leave you with this thought -- in your mind do you think it is a "fad" all this text-speak or do you think it is here to stay and like an old dog, I just can't learn the new tricks?

No comments:

Post a Comment