Saturday, July 03, 2010

Happy 4th!!


I feel the need to hum, well is it really humming? It's more like dah, dah, dah, dah, dah dah and dah -- the opening notes of Stars and Stripes Forever, the well-known John Philip Sousa march, in celebration of Independence Day. Living in Small Town, USA I have learned that long time residents take their holidays seriously -- and that means decorating their homes.

It's really fun actually -- so many creative people living in homes that have stood the test of time in this part of the country for more than 100 years. Case in point -- this fine Victorian specimen right in the middle of the original part of town. The current residents have totally refurbished this beauty over the years. It really is lovely. I have yet to charm them into letting me see the inside though, well truth is...I haven't got the nerve to ask if I could see the inside. Afraid they might think me some kind of weirdo. And, would they be far from the truth? Perhaps the historical society has a tour of some type -- I need to check in to that. I have visited other Victorian beauties in the community -- so maybe there is hope of seeing this one in particular at some point in the future.

While I live in a really small mid-century home here in town, I did still feel the need to decorate. Don't you just love the term "mid-century"? it is the highfalutin way to describe a basically nondescript structure built in the 50s or early 60s! So, keeping in the spirit of things, I dolled up a grapevine wreath that hangs on my front door using red, white and blue ribbons, whirlygigs, and metal stars. After the holiday I will add some berry blossoms. Since this is known as the heart of the berry capitol of the world -- I thought the berries on the wreath would be a nice tribute. This little amount of decorating is the remnant of my Country Peddler days -- late 70s early 80s -- when I owned and operated a few retail shops that were filled with decorative accessories of the antique-style. Oh the joy of it all. Anyhow, I digress...I do hope everyone out there is having a super holiday weekend -- and along with the good food and fun, in our hearts let's remember to be grateful that we live in a country that is independent and allows us to be free. I know, I know...it's not a country without it's troubles...but all and all, I think you'll agree...it's a pretty great place to live. Happy 4th!

No comments:

Post a Comment