Friday, December 11, 2009

The Robins are Back! The Robins are Back!

My favorite part of having a hawthorn tree in my backyard is the fact that it feeds a ton of robins during the bleak months of winter. This week, with the temperatures hovering in the teens, the robins came back in droves to munch on the berries. Having so many of these beautiful birds in my yard almost makes me forget about how many times during the warmer months that damned tree caught me with one of its lethal thorns.

If you haven't seen on of these in person, just think of a giant very, very, very sharp three-inch upholstery needle and you'll get a pretty good idea of what I'm talking about. I have a bird feeder hanging from this tree -- and it seems that every time I fill up the feeder, I impale myself on a low-hanging branch of the tree. Not the best planning, I know; but the birds that use the feeder are protected from the sparrow hawks while they dine on the very fine Audubon songbird mix. So, I guess for the birds, I will do anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment