Sunday, December 13, 2009

I'm In Heaven!

Is there anyone else out there who looks at a rock and swoons? I know, I know...I'm a bit on the geeky nut side. But, what can I say...I truly love gemstones; always have...always will. I have a lot of favs and pietersite is pretty close to the top of my list. Over the years this magnificent stone became harder and harder to come by so I haven't done anything with it in years. That being said, you can only imagine the joy I felt when I saw a few mighty specimens in Tucson last February.

I had to do everything in my power not to do cartwheels up and down the aisle at the gem show. That would have caused a stir I'm sure especially once the paramedics loaded me in the ambulance.

Anyhow, I am finally getting around to designing a few pieces for all of you now -- selfish me, I had to make a few things for myself first. If you are aren't familiar with pietersite you are in for a treat. Little sparkly rivers of grayish-blue crystals run through various shades of browns and blues. Pietersite is one of just a handful of gemstones in the world that have the characteristic of chatoyancy. Tiger eye is one of the other more common stones with this unique property. Gosh, sometimes I sound like such a scientist -- "characteristic, properties, specimen." You know, I just thought of Ray Ogas, my tenth grade biology teacher -- he would be so proud to know that I can bandy about these terms with ease.

All scientific mumble-jumble aside (or is it mumbo-jumbo?) -- the bottom line is that I simply love this gemstone. You probably realize by now, for me it all starts with the gemstone. I scour my sources to find the prettiest of stones and then I work to design a piece of jewelry that really showcases each gem. Before it leaves my studio each piece has to make me happy when I see it and when I wear it. In this case, the stones and the finished product are pure heaven.

No comments:

Post a Comment