Thursday, July 09, 2009

The Infamous Berry Shack

So, I ran to the Berry Shack to pick up my weekly fix of blueberries. Oh joy -- you can only imagine my excitement when I saw boysenberries lined up in their little boxes. Of course, I had to have a sample for good measure and came home with a few of those in my Boones Ferry Berry Farms box, too. When I was a little girl, way back when, my uncle Fred had boysenberries growing in the field behind his house. He would send us kids out there with waxed paper tubs -- kind of like the bucket you get when you buy popcorn at the movies. We would pick until our buckets were full. I remember eating more than what I put in my bucket. While he knew we were eating them all, he didn't care. He would give us a hard time but in a joking way.

Oh, and I just remembered Ruby's, the hip and happening malt place in town -- we used to go there and get Purple Cows. Some wonderful concoction of rich, creamy vanilla ice cream and fresh boysenberries. Ah-h, those were the days -- long before we thought about cholesterol and our weight. It was a simpler time, I suppose.

No comments:

Post a Comment