Tuesday, August 04, 2009

A Trip Into Wonderland


I took a break from work today and Beatrix and I drove over to Bauman Farms just outside of town to pick up some fresh fruit and veggies and visit with the animals. While I could pass on the animal visiting, it is the best part of the trip for the Beaster; although the last time we were there she got her nosed pecked by a turkey. A humiliating experience at best.

Anyhow, there is this garden area that I have never ventured into...until today. Wow, I felt like Alice in Wonderland. It was much bigger than I had imagined and since many of the plants are really tall, it feels quite secluded and peaceful. 

The garden sits next to the old family farmhouse, which is simply lovely, probably built early 1900s. Arbors and benches and waves of purple petunias, a lily pond with its own little waterfall sits next to a quaint gazebo. We ended up staying in there longer than I had anticipated -- it was so quiet, and peaceful and since the weather cooled down today, it was lovely. It made me realize that there are so many gifts around us -- sometimes we do, indeed, need to take time to smell the roses (or lilies, in this case) and just be grateful for what we have in that moment. After all, it is little moments that make up the big picture called "life."



By the way, they do mail order on many of their gift baskets so if you want to taste a bit of Oregon visit their site and look it over. But beware, once you've had a taste of their jellies and jams, you'll be hooked! Yum, yum, yum! www.baumanfarms.com

No comments:

Post a Comment